from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or process of starving.
- n. The condition of being starved.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a condition of severe suffering due to a lack of nutrition.
- adj. likely to cause starving
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of starving, or the state of being starved.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of starving or being starved; extreme suffering from cold or hunger; hence, deprivation of any element essential to nutrition or the proper discharge of the bodily functions: often used figuratively of mental or spiritual needs.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of depriving of food or subjecting to famine
- n. a state of extreme hunger resulting from lack of essential nutrients over a prolonged period