from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to Sparta or its people.
- adj. Rigorously self-disciplined or self-restrained.
- adj. Simple, frugal, or austere: a Spartan diet; a spartan lifestyle.
- adj. Marked by brevity of speech; laconic.
- adj. Courageous in the face of pain, danger, or adversity.
- n. A citizen of Sparta.
- n. One of Spartan character.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A citizen of Sparta.
- adj. Of or relating to Sparta or its citizens.
- adj. Alternative spelling of spartan.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to Sparta, especially to ancient Sparta; hence, hardy; undaunted
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to Sparta or Lacedæmon, the capital of Laconia, or the ancient kingdom of Sparta or Lacedæmon (Laconia), in the Peloponnesus; Lacedæmonian; specifically, belonging to the branch of the ancient Dorian race dominant in Laconia.
- Noting characteristics distinctive of, or considered as distinctive of, the ancient Spartans.
- n. A native or an inhabitant of Sparta or Laconia; a Lacedæmonian; specifically (as opposed to Lacedæmonian in a narrower sense), a member of that branch of the ancient Dorian race which conquered Laconia and established the kingdom of Sparta, celebrated for its military success and prestige, due to the rigid discipline enforced upon all Spartans from early childhood; a Spartiate.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to or characteristic of Sparta or its people
- adj. resolute in the face of pain or danger or adversity
- adj. unsparing and uncompromising in discipline or judgment
- n. a resident of Sparta
- adj. practicing great self-denial
Sorry, no etymologies found.