from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Characterized by or acting with rigor: a rigorous program to restore physical fitness.
- adj. Full of rigors; harsh: a rigorous climate.
- adj. Rigidly accurate; precise. See Synonyms at burdensome.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Manifesting, exercising, or favoring rigour; allowing no abatement or mitigation; scrupulously accurate; exact; strict; severe; relentless; as, a rigorous officer of justice; a rigorous execution of law; a rigorous definition or demonstration.
- adj. Severe; intense; inclement; as, a rigorous winter.
- adj. Violent.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Manifesting, exercising, or favoring rigor; allowing no abatement or mitigation; scrupulously accurate; exact; strict; severe; relentless
- adj. Severe; intense; inclement.
- adj. Violent.
- adj. Adhering scrupulously and exactly to accepted principles; hence, logically valid.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Acting with rigor; strict in performance or requirement.
- Marked by inflexibility or severity; stringent; exacting; hence, unmitigated; merciless.
- Exact; strict; precise; scrupulously accurate: as, a rigorous definition or demonstration.
- Hard; inclement; bitter; severe: as, a rigorous winter.
- Synonyms and Severe, Rigid, etc. (see austere), inflexible, unbending, unyielding.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. demanding strict attention to rules and procedures
- adj. rigidly accurate; allowing no deviation from a standard
Sorry, no etymologies found.