from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Exceeding a normal, usual, reasonable, or proper limit.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Exceeding the usual bounds of something; extravagant; immoderate.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Characterized by, or exhibiting, excess; overmuch.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Exceeding the usual or proper limit, degree, measure, or proportion; being in excess of what is requisite or proper; going beyond what is sanctioned by correct principles; immoderate; extravagant; unreasonable; as, excessive bulk; excessive labor; excessive charges; excessive vanity; excessive indulgence.
- Synonyms Immense, etc. (see enormous); superabundant, superfluous; inordinate, outrageous, extreme; intemperate, violent.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. beyond normal limits
- adj. unrestrained, especially with regard to feelings
Sorry, no etymologies found.