from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Surpassing others; preeminent or supreme.
- adj. Lying beyond the ordinary range of perception: "fails to achieve a transcendent significance in suffering and squalor” ( National Review).
- adj. Philosophy Transcending the Aristotelian categories.
- adj. Philosophy In Kant's theory of knowledge, being beyond the limits of experience and hence unknowable.
- adj. Being above and independent of the material universe. Used of the Deity.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. surpassing usual limits
- adj. beyond the range of usual perception
- adj. free from constraints of the material world
- n. That which surpasses or is supereminent; something excellent.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Very excellent; superior or supreme in excellence; surpassing others.
- adj. Transcending, or reaching beyond, the limits of human knowledge; -- applied to affirmations and speculations concerning what lies beyond the reach of the human intellect.
- n. That which surpasses or is supereminent; that which is very excellent.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In mathematics, indefinable by any combination of a finite number of equations with rational integral coefficients.
- Surpassing; excelling; superior or supreme; extraordinary: as, transcendent worth.
- In scholastic philos., not included under one of the ten categories; higher than the categories.
- In Kantian philosophy, transcending experience; unrealizable in experience; not an object of possible experience.
- Transcending the universe of matter; not essentially connected with the universe; not cosmic: as, a transcendent deity.
- SynonymsPreëminent, surpassing, supereminent, unequaled, unparalleled, unrivaled, peerless.
- n. That which surpasses or excels; anything greatly superior or supereminent.
- n. In metaphysics: A reality above the categories or predicaments.
- n. That which is altogether beyond the bounds of human cognition and thought. Compare I., 3.
- n. In mathematics, a transcendental expression or function.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. exceeding or surpassing usual limits especially in excellence
- adj. beyond and outside the ordinary range of human experience or understanding
transcend + -ent (Wiktionary)