from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Lacking definite form; shapeless. See Synonyms at shapeless.
- adj. Of no particular type; anomalous.
- adj. Lacking organization; formless.
- adj. Lacking distinct crystalline structure.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. lacking a definite form or clear shape
- adj. being without definite character or nature
- adj. lacking organization or unity
- adj. in the non-crystalline solid state of a typically crystalline solid.
- adj. infinite and not the disjoint union of two infinite subsets
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having no determinate form; of irregular; shapeless.
- adj. Without crystallization in the ultimate texture of a solid substance; uncrystallized.
- adj. Of no particular kind or character; anomalous.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having no determinate form; of irregular shape.
- Having no regular structure; specifically, not crystallized, even in the minutest particles: as, glass and opal are amorphous.—. Of no particular kind or character; formless; characterless; heterogeneous; unorganized.
- Characterized by amorphism; founded on the principles of amorphism; nihilistic; anarchic.
- Also amorphic.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. without real or apparent crystalline form
- adj. having no definite form or distinct shape
- adj. lacking the system or structure characteristic of living bodies
From Greek amorphos : a-, without; see a-1 + morphē, shape.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek ἄμορφος (amorphos) "without form, shapeless, deformed" (itself from α- (a-) "without" + μορφή (morphē) "form") + the English suffix -ous (Wiktionary)