from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Impossible to account for; inexplicable: unaccountable absences.
- adj. Free from accountability; not responsible: an executive unaccountable to anyone but the president.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. inexplicable; unable to account for, or explain
- adj. not responsible; free from accountability or control
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Not accountable or responsible; free from control.
- adj. Not to be accounted for; inexplicable; not consonant with reason or rule; strange; mysterious.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not to be accounted for; not explicable; not to be explained by reason or by the knowledge possessed; inexplicable; hence, strange.
- Not subject to account or control; not subject to answer; not responsible.
- Not to be counted; countless; innumerable.
- Synonyms Mysterious.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. free from control or responsibility
- adj. not to be accounted for or explained
un- + accountable (Wiktionary)