from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or characterized by conjecture; conjectural.
- adj. Statistics Involving or containing a random variable or variables: stochastic calculus.
- adj. Statistics Involving chance or probability: a stochastic stimulation.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Random, randomly determined, relating to stochastics.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Conjectural; able to conjecture.
- adj. random; chance; involving probability; opposite of
- adj. of or pertaining to a process in which a series of calculations, selections, or observations are made, each one being randomly determined as a sample from a probability distribution.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Conjectural; given to or partaking of conjecture.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. being or having a random variable
Greek stokhastikos, from stokhastēs, diviner, from stokhazesthai, to guess at, from stokhos, aim, goal; see stegh- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek στοχαστικός (stokhastikos), from στοχάζομαι (stokhazomai, "aim at a target, guess"), from στόχος (stokhos, "an aim, a guess"). (Wiktionary)