from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. So implausible as to elicit disbelief: gave an incredible explanation of the cause of the accident.
- adj. Astonishing: dressed with incredible speed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Amazing; astonishing; awe-inspiring.
- adj. Marvelous; profoundly affecting; wonderful.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Not credible; surpassing belief; too extraordinary and improbable to admit of belief; unlikely; marvelous; fabulous.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not credible; that cannot be credited; surpassing the possibility of belief.
- Surpassing belief as to what is possible; hard to believe; unimaginable; inconceivable.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. beyond belief or understanding
Middle English, from Latin incrēdibilis : in-, not; see in-1 + crēdibilis, believable; see credible.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin incrēdibilis ("that cannot be believed"), from in- ("not") + crēdibilis ("worthy of belief"), from crēdō ("believe"). (Wiktionary)