from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Difficult to understand; recondite. See Synonyms at ambiguous.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Concealed or hidden out of the way.
- adj. Remote from apprehension; difficult to be comprehended or understood; recondite.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Withdrawn from view; out of the way; concealed.
- Remote from comprehension; difficult to be apprehended or understood; profound; occult; esoteric: opposed to obvious.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. difficult to penetrate; incomprehensible to one of ordinary understanding or knowledge
Latin abstrūsus, past participle of abstrūdere, to hide : abs-, ab-, away; see ab-1 + trūdere, to push; see treud- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)