from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or constituting the basic, essential, or fundamental part: an elementary need for love and nurturing.
- adj. Of, relating to, or involving the fundamental or simplest aspects of a subject: an elementary problem in statistics.
- adj. Of or relating to an elementary school or elementary education: the elementary grades; elementary teachers.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Relating to the basic, essential or fundamental part of something.
- adj. Relating to an elementary school.
- adj. Relating to a subatomic particle.
- adj. Sublunary; not celestial; belonging to the sublunary sphere, to which the four classical elements (earth, air, fire and water) were confined; composed of or pertaining to these four elements.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having only one principle or constituent part; consisting of a single element; simple; uncompounded.
- adj. Pertaining to, or treating of, the elements, rudiments, or first principles of anything; initial; rudimental; introductory.
- adj. Pertaining to one of the four elements, air, water, earth, fire.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to or of the nature of an element or elements; primary; simple; uncompounded; incomplex: as, an elementary substance.
- Initial; rudimental; containing, teaching, or discussing first principles, rules, or rudiments: as, an elementary treatise or disquisition; elementary education; elementary schools.
- Treating of elements; collecting, digesting, or explaining principles: as, an elementary writer.
- Of the nature of an infinitesimal element or part.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or being the essential or basic part
- adj. easy and not involved or complicated
- adj. of or pertaining to or characteristic of elementary school or elementary education
Sorry, no etymologies found.