from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having existed in a region from the beginning: aboriginal forests. See Synonyms at native.
- adj. Of or relating to aborigines.
- adj. Of or relating to the indigenous peoples of Australia.
- n. An aborigine.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. First; original; indigenous; primitive; native.
- adj. Of or pertaining to aborigines.
- n. An original inhabitant of any land; one of the aborigines.
- n. An animal or a plant native to the region.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Existing from the origin or beginning; hence, first; original; primitive: as, aboriginal people are the first inhabitants of a country known to history.
- Pertaining to aborigines; hence, primitive; simple; unsophisticated: as, aboriginal customs; aboriginal apathy.
- In geology and botany, native; indigenous; autochthonous.
- n. An original inhabitant; one of the people living in a country at the period of the earliest historical knowledge of it; an autochthon.
- n. A species of animals or plants which originated within a given area.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or pertaining to members of the indigenous people of Australia
- adj. characteristic of or relating to people inhabiting a region from the beginning
- n. a dark-skinned member of a race of people living in Australia when Europeans arrived
- adj. having existed from the beginning; in an earliest or original stage or state
- n. an indigenous person who was born in a particular place
See Aboriginal. (Wiktionary)