from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or evolved from an ancestor or ancestors.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, pertaining to, derived from, or possessed by, an ancestor or ancestors; as, an ancestral estate.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of, pertaining to, derived from, or possessed by, an ancestor or ancestors.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to ancestors or progenitors; descending or claimed from ancestors: as, an ancestral estate; ancestral trees; a king on his ancestral throne.
- In biology, of or pertaining to an ancestor; being an earlier, and presumably lower or more generalized, type from which later more specialized forms of organized beings are asserted to have been evolved.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. inherited or inheritable by established rules (usually legal rules) of descent
- adj. of or belonging to or inherited from an ancestor
Old French ancestral, from ancestre ("ancestor"). (Wiktionary)