from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, located at, or forming a base.
- adj. Botany Located at or near the base of a plant stem, or at the base of any other plant part: basal placentation.
- adj. Of primary importance; basic.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Relating to, or forming, the base, or point of origin.
- adj. In a phylogenetic tree, being a group, or member of a group, which diverged earlier.
- n. Any basal structure or part
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Relating to, or forming, the base.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to the base; constituting the base; fundamental.
- Pertaining to the base of a part or organ. On or near the base: as, a basal mark.
- Nearest the base: as, the basal joint, or the four basal joints of an insect's antenna.
- In ichthyology, of or pertaining to the basalia. See basale.
- In the wings of Diptera, one of the elongate cells near the base of the wing between the second and fifth or second and sixth longitudinal veins; they are numbered, the first being the one nearest the costal margin.
- n. One of the basal joints of the branches of a crinoid, bearing the radials.
- n. In ichthyology, the basisphenoid.
- In a typical solitary coral, as Caryophyllia, that part of the skeleton which is between the zoöid and the surface of attachment.
- n. Same as genital plate (which see, under genital).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. especially of leaves; located at the base of a plant or stem; especially arising directly from the root or rootstock or a root-like stem
- adj. serving as or forming a base
- adj. of primary importance
base + -al (Wiktionary)