from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Situated at, in, or near the center: the central states.
- adj. Forming the center.
- adj. Having dominant or controlling power or influence: the company's central office.
- adj. Of basic importance; essential or principal: "Performance, including technological invention and artistic creation, will become central to education at all levels” ( Frederick Turner).
- adj. Easily reached from various points: a central location for the new store.
- adj. Of or constituting a single source controlling all components of a system: central air conditioning.
- adj. Anatomy Of, relating to, or originating from the nervous system.
- adj. Anatomy Relating to a centrum.
- adj. Linguistics Articulated in the middle of the oral cavity; neither front nor back. Used of vowels, as the u in cut.
- adj. Holding to a moderate ideological position between two extremes.
- n. A telephone exchange.
- n. An operator at a telephone exchange.
- n. An office or agency at the center of a group of related activities that serves to control and coordinate them: traffic central.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. being in the centre
- adj. being the most important
- adj. having or containing the centre of something
- adj. being very important, or key to something
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Relating to the center; situated in or near the center or middle; containing the center; of or pertaining to the parts near the center; equidistant or equally accessible from certain points.
- n. The central, or one of the central, bones of the carpus or or tarsus. In the tarsus of man it is represented by the navicular.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to or constituting the center: as, the central point of a circle; a central country of Europe.
- Nuclear in constitution or principle; constituting that from which other related things proceed, or upon which they depend: as, the central facts of history; a central idea.
- Passing through or near the center or middle; median: as, a central line; the New York Central Railroad.
- In an at., of or relating to the centrum of a vertebra.
- In neural., pertaining to a nerve-center: opposed to peripheral, or pertaining to the nerve-fibers or to the nervous terminations in sense-organs and muscles.
- n. In a telephone system, the office from which the public and private lines radiate and in which the connections are made between the different lines, by means of a central switch-board.
- n. Cane-grinding apparatus which serves for several sugar plantations.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. serving as an essential component
- adj. in or near a center or constituting a center; the inner area
- n. a workplace that serves as a telecommunications facility where lines from telephones can be connected together to permit communication
Latin centrālis, from centrum, center; see center.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin centrālis. (Wiktionary)