from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Being first in time; original; primeval.
- adj. Of first importance; primary.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Being the first in time, or history.
- adj. Being of greatest importance; primary.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. First; primary; original; chief.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Primary; first in time, order, or importance; original; primitive.
- [capitalized] In geology, the earliest of H. D. Rogers's divisions of the Paleozoic series of Pennsylvania, equivalent to the Potsdam sandstone of the New York Survey.
- In natural history, specifically, of or pertaining to the kingdom Primalia.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. serving as an essential component
- adj. having existed from the beginning; in an earliest or original stage or state
Medieval Latin prīmālis, from Latin prīmus, first; see per1 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Medieval Latin primalis, from primus, first. (Wiktionary)