from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Pressed together or into less volume or space.
- adj. Biology Flattened, especially laterally or lengthwise, as certain leafstalks or the bodies of many fishes.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Pressed tightly together.
- adj. Flattened, especially when along its entire length.
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of compress.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Pressed together; compacted; reduced in volume by pressure.
- adj. Flattened lengthwise.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pressed into narrow compass; condensed; especially, flattened laterally or lengthwise; having the two opposite sides flattened or plane.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. pressed tightly together
- adj. flattened laterally along the whole length (e.g., certain leafstalks or flatfishes)
- adj. reduced in volume by pressure
Sorry, no etymologies found.