from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The quality or condition of being deficient; incompleteness or inadequacy.
- n. A lack or shortage, especially of something essential to health; an insufficiency: a nutritional deficiency.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Inadequacy or incompleteness.
- n. An insufficiency, especially of something essential to health.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state of being deficient; inadequacy; want; failure; imperfection; shortcoming; defect.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of being deficient; a lack or failing; a falling short; incompleteness, as of intelligence, attainments, or performance.
- n. That in which a person or thing is deficient; an imperfection.
- n. Lack of the necessary quantity, number, etc.; inadequacy; insufficiency: as, a deficiency of troops; a deficiency of blood.
- n. Absence; loss.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. lack of an adequate quantity or number
- n. the state of needing something that is absent or unavailable
deficit + -ency (Wiktionary)