from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A quantity or portion of something lacking after delivery or storage.
- n. A temporary suspension of operation, especially of electric power.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A temporary suspension of operation, especially of electrical power supply
- n. The amount of something lost in storage or transportation
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In electricity, the failure of an arc-lamp, in a series arc-circuit, to start when current is sent into the circuit.
- n. A charge made by the State of Maryland for the labor of handling tobacco inspected for export.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a temporary suspension of operation (as of computers)
- n. the amount of something (as whiskey or oil) lost in storage or transportation
From out + -age, on the model of shortage. (Wiktionary)