from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of amalgamating or the condition resulting from this act.
- n. A consolidation or merger, as of several corporations.
- n. The production of a metal alloy of mercury.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The process of amalgamating; a mixture, merger or consolidation.
- n. The result of amalgamating; a mixture or alloy.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act or operation of compounding mercury with another metal; -- applied particularly to the process of separating gold and silver from their ores by mixing them with mercury.
- n. The mixing or blending of different elements, races, societies, etc.; also, the result of such combination or blending; a homogeneous union.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act or operation of compounding mercury with another metal.
- n. The mixing or blending of different things, especially of races; the result of such mixing or blending; interfusion, as of diverse elements.
- n. Consolidation; specifically, the union of two or more incorporated societies or joint-stock companies into one concern or under one general direction.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the combination of two or more commercial companies
From Medieval Latin amalgamatio. (Wiktionary)