from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A movement promoting unity among Christian churches or denominations.
- n. A movement promoting worldwide unity among religions through greater cooperation and improved understanding.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Ecumenical doctrines and practices, especially as manifested in the ecumenical movement.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a movement promoting union between religions (especially between Christian churches)
- n. (Christianity) the doctrine of the ecumenical movement that promotes cooperation and better understanding among different religious denominations: aimed at universal Christian unity
ecumene + -ism (Wiktionary)