from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of perturbing.
- n. The state of being perturbed; agitation.
- n. A small change in a physical system.
- n. Physics & Astronomy Variation in a designated orbit, as of a planet, resulting from the influence of one or more external bodies.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Agitation; the state of being perturbed
- n. A small change in a physical system, or more broadly any definable system (such as a biological or economic system)
- n. Variation in an orbit due to the influence of external bodies
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of perturbing, or the state of being perturbed; esp., agitation of mind.
- n. A disturbance in the regular elliptic or other motion of a heavenly body, produced by some force additional to that which causes its regular motion.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of perturbing, or the state of being perturbed; disturbance; disorder; especially, disquiet of mind; restlessness or want of tranquillity of mind; commotion of the passions.
- n. Variation; especially, irregular or violent variation.
- n. A cause of disquiet.
- n. In astronomy, a deviation of the motion of a planet or comet from a fixed orbit or from its regular velocity in that orbit.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a disposition that is confused or nervous and upset
- n. (physics) a secondary influence on a system that causes it to deviate slightly
- n. activity that is a malfunction, intrusion, or interruption
- n. the act of causing disorder
- n. an unhappy and worried mental state
perturb + -ation (Wiktionary)