from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The quality or state of being irregular.
- n. Something irregular: found the firm's books riddled with irregularities.
- n. Constipation.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An instance of being irregular.
- n. The state or condition of being irregular, or the extent to which something is irregular.
- n. An object or event that is not regular or ordinary.
- n. A violation of rules.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state or quality of being irregular; that which is irregular.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Lack of regularity; the state of being irregular; deviation from rule, method, order, course, uniformity, etc.; hence, impropriety; disorder; laxity: as, irregularity of proceedings; the irregularity of a curve; irregularity of life or conduct.
- n. That which is irregular or out of due course; a part exhibiting divergence from the rest; hence, aberrant or immoral action or conduct: as, an irregularity on a surface; to be guilty of irregularities.
- n. In law, an act or proceeding not wholly beyond the power of the court or party, but done in a manner not warranted by the law or the state of the cause.
- n. In botany, want of uniformity in size, shape, or measure of union among the members of the same floral circle.
- n. Eccles., in the Roman Catholic Church, infraction of the rules governing admission to the clerical office and discharge of its functions; a canonical impediment to reception of orders, exercise of clerical functions, or advancement in the church.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. not characterized by a fixed principle or rate; at irregular intervals
- n. behavior that breaches the rule or etiquette or custom or morality
- n. irregular and infrequent or difficult evacuation of the bowels; can be a symptom of intestinal obstruction or diverticulitis
- n. an irregular asymmetry in shape; an irregular spatial pattern
Sorry, no etymologies found.