from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Something rare.
- n. The quality or state of being rare; infrequency of occurrence.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A measure of the scarcity of an object.
- n. Thinness; the property of having low density
- n. A rare object.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The quality or state of being rare; rareness; thinness.
- n. That which is rare; an uncommon thing; a thing valued for its scarcity.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The condition of being rare, or not dense, or of occupying, as a corporeal substance, much space with little matter; thinness; tenuity: opposed to density: as, the rarity of a gas.
- n. The state of being uncommon or of infrequent occurrence; uncommonness; infrequency.
- n. Something that is rare or uncommon; a thing valued for its scarcity or for its unusual excellence.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. noteworthy scarcity
- n. something unusual -- perhaps worthy of collecting
- n. a rarified quality
Latin rāritās; compare French rareté. See also rare. (Wiktionary)