from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The state of being solicitous; care or concern, as for the well-being of another. See Synonyms at anxiety.
- n. A cause of anxiety or concern. Often used in the plural.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The state of being solicitous; uneasiness of mind occasioned by fear of evil or desire for good; anxiety.
- n. A feeling of excessive concern.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state of being solicitous; uneasiness of mind occasioned by fear of evil or desire good; anxiety.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of being solicitous; anxious care; carefulness; anxiety; concern; eager uneasiness of mind lest some desired thing may not be obtained or some apprehended evil may happen.
- n. A cause or occasion of anxiety or concern.
- n. Synonyms Concern, Anxiety, etc. See care.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a feeling of excessive concern
From Old French, from Latin sollicitudo ("anxiety"), from sollicitus, solicitus ("anxious, solicitous"); see solicitous. (Wiktionary)