from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The action or instance of soliciting; petition; proposal.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of soliciting; earnest request; persistent asking; importunity.
- n. Excitement; invitation.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of soliciting.
- n. In criminal law:
- n. The inciting of another to commit a crime.
- n. The enticing of a man by a prostitute in a public place.
- n. Endeavor to influence by bribery.
- n. An earnest request; a seeking with some degree of zeal and earnestness to obtain something from another: as, the solicitation of a favor.
- n. (d ) Advocacy.
- n. Synonyms Entreaty, supplication, importunity, appeal, petition, suit.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of enticing a person to do something wrong (as an offer of sex in return for money)
- n. request for a sum of money
- n. an entreaty addressed to someone of superior status
French solicitation, or Latin sollicitatio. (Wiktionary)