from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of plotting.
- n. A crafty scheme or cunning design for the accomplishment of a sinister end.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A clever scheme or artful plot, usually crafted for evil purposes.
- n. The act of machinating or plotting.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of machinating.
- n. That which is devised; a device; a hostile or treacherous scheme; an artful design or plot.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of machinating, or of contriving a scheme for executing some purpose, particularly a forbidden or an evil purpose; underhand plotting or contrivance.
- n. That which is planned or contrived; a plot; an artful design formed with deliberation; especially, a hostile or treacherous scheme.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a crafty and involved plot to achieve your (usually sinister) ends
From Latin machinatio, from machinari ("to contrive"); see machinate. (Wiktionary)