from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The automatic operation or control of equipment, a process, or a system.
- n. The techniques and equipment used to achieve automatic operation or control.
- n. The condition of being automatically controlled or operated.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act or process of converting the controlling of a machine or device to a more automatic system, such as computer or electronic controls.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of implementing the control of equipment with advanced technology; usually involving electronic hardware
- n. the condition of being automatically operated or controlled
- n. equipment used to achieve automatic control or operation
From automatic.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From automatic (coined by a Ford Motor Company leader in the 40s) (Wiktionary)