from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The state of being gentle.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The quality or state of being gentle, well-born, mild, benevolent, docile, etc.; gentility; softness of manners, disposition, etc.; mildness.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The condition of being gentle or of good birth; gentility.
- n. The state or quality of being gentle in manners or disposition; mildness of temper; sweetness of disposition; kindness; tenderness.
- n. Softness; freedom from roughness; mildness; delicacy: as, gentleness of touch.
- n. Ease; gradualness; absence of abruptness or steepness: as, the gentleness of an elevation or a slope.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the property possessed by a slope that is very gradual
- n. acting in a manner that is gentle and mild and even-tempered
gentle + -ness (Wiktionary)