from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The quality or condition of being humble.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The characteristic of being humble; humbleness in character and behavior.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state or quality of being humble; freedom from pride and arrogance; lowliness of mind; a modest estimate of one's own worth; a sense of one's own unworthiness through imperfection and sinfulness; self-abasement; humbleness.
- n. An act of submission or courtesy.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or character of being humble; freedom from pride and arrogance; lowliness of mind; a low estimate of one's self; self-abasement.
- n. . An act of submission.
- n. A name of several different tattlers or totanine birds of the family Scolopacidæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a humble feeling
- n. a disposition to be humble; a lack of false pride
Middle English humilite, from Old French, from Late Latin humilitās, from humilis, humble; see humble.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Middle English humilite, from Old French (h)umilité, from Latin humilitas ("lowness, meanness, baseness, in Late Latin humility"), from humilis ("low, lowly, humble, earth"); see humble. (Wiktionary)