from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Ardent, often selfless affection and dedication, as to a person or principle. See Synonyms at love.
- n. Religious ardor or zeal; piety.
- n. An act of religious observance or prayer, especially when private. Often used in the plural.
- n. Prayers or religious texts: a book of devotions.
- n. The act of devoting or the state of being devoted.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act or state of devoting or being devoted.
- n. Feeling of strong or fervent affection; dedication
- n. Religious veneration, zeal, or piety.
- n. A prayer (often found in the plural)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of devoting; consecration.
- n. The state of being devoted; addiction; eager inclination; strong attachment love or affection; zeal; especially, feelings toward God appropriately expressed by acts of worship; devoutness.
- n. Act of devotedness or devoutness; manifestation of strong attachment; act of worship; prayer.
- n. Disposal; power of disposal.
- n. A thing consecrated; an object of devotion.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of devoting; a definitive setting apart, appropriating, or consecrating: as, the devotion of one's means to a certain purpose; the devotion of one's life to the service of God.
- n. The state of being devoted.
- n. Earnest and faithful service arising from love, friendship, patriotism, etc.; enthusiastic manifestation of attachment.
- n. Close attention or application in general: as, his devotion to this pursuit impaired his health.
- n. An act of worship; a religious exercise.
- n. Alms given as an act of worship; offerings made at divine service.
- n. Something consecrated; an object of devotion.
- n. Power of devoting or applying to use; disposal; bidding.
- n. Synonyms Consecration, dedication, devotedness.
- n. 2 . Piety, Godliness, etc. (See religion.)
- n. . Attachment, Affection, etc. (see love), zeal, fidelity, constancy.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. religious zeal; the willingness to serve God
- n. (usually plural) religious observance or prayers (usually spoken silently)
- n. commitment to some purpose
- n. feelings of ardent love
Latin dēvōtiō, from dēvōtum + -tio, from the supine of dēvoveō ("vow, devote"). (Wiktionary)