from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The condition or quality of being fast, especially:
- n. Firmness; security.
- n. Rapidity; swiftness.
- n. The quality or condition of color retention; colorfastness.
- n. A secure or fortified place; a stronghold.
- n. A remote, secret place.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A secure or fortified place; a stronghold, a fortress
- n. The state of being fast.
- n. The ability of a dye to withstand fading
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state of being fast and firm; firmness; fixedness; security; faithfulness.
- n. A fast place; a stronghold; a fortress or fort; a secure retreat; a castle.
- n. Conciseness of style.
- n. The state of being fast or swift.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of being fast and firm or fixed; firm adherence.
- n. Strength; security.
- n. A stronghold; a fortress or fort; a fortified place; a castle.
- n. . Closeness or conciseness, as of style.
- n. The state or quality of being fast, in any sense.
- n. Synonyms Speed, Swiftness, etc. See quickness.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the quality of being fixed in place as by some firm attachment
- n. a rate (usually rapid) at which something happens
- n. a strongly fortified defensive structure
Sorry, no etymologies found.