from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An atmosphere of social harmony.
- n. See comity of nations.
- n. The principle by which the courts of one jurisdiction may accede or give effect to the laws or decisions of another.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Courtesy and considerate behaviour towards others; social harmony.
- n. Friendly understanding and mutual recognition between two entities, especially nations.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Mildness and suavity of manners; courtesy between equals; friendly civility.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Mildness and suavity in intercourse; courtesy; civility.
- n. In international law, that courtesy between states or nations by which the laws and institutions of the one are recognized, and in certain cases and under certain limitations given effect to, by the government of the other, within its territory.
- n. Synonyms Amenity, suavity, politeness, consideration.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a state or atmosphere of harmony or mutual civility and respect
Latin cōmitās, from cōmis, friendly; see smei- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin comitas, from comis ("courteous") (Wiktionary)