from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the escape of gas from solution in a liquid, especially the escape of carbon dioxide from a carbonated drink
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of natural ebullition; that commotion of a fluid which takes place when some part of the mass flies off in a gaseous form, producing innumerable small bubbles.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Natural ebullition; that commotion of a fluid which takes place when some part of the mass flies off in a gaseous form, producing small bubbles: as, the effervescence or working of new wine, cider, or beer; the effervescence of a carbonate with nitric acid, in consequence of chemical action and decomposition producing carbon dioxid or carbonic-acid gas.
- n. Figuratively, strong excitement; manifestation of feeling.
- n. Synonyms See ebullition.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the property of giving off bubbles
- n. the process of bubbling as gas escapes
From French effervescence. (Wiktionary)