from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who handles, controls, or directs, especially:
- n. One who directs a business or other enterprise.
- n. One who controls resources and expenditures, as of a household.
- n. One who is in charge of the business affairs of an entertainer.
- n. Sports One who is in charge of the training and performance of an athlete or a team.
- n. Sports A student who is in charge of the equipment and records of a school or college team.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person whose job is to manage something, such as a business, a restaurant, or a sports team.
- n. The head coach.
- n. An administrator, for a singer or group.
- n. A window or application whose purpose is to give the user the control over some aspect of the software.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who manages; a conductor or director.
- n. A person who conducts business or household affairs with economy and frugality; a good economist.
- n. A contriver; an intriguer.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who manages, directs, or controls: as, a good manager of horses, or of business.
- n. One charged with the management, direction, or control of an affair, undertaking, or business, a director or conductor: as, the manager of a theater or of an enterprise; a railroad manager.
- n. An adept in the art of managing, directing, or controlling; one expert in contriving or planning.
- n. In chancery practice, a receiver authorized not merely to collect and apply assets, but also to carry on or superintend a trade or business: often called receiver and manager.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who controls resources and expenditures
- n. (sports) someone in charge of training an athlete or a team
manage + -er. (Wiktionary)