from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who sponsors or produces entertainment, especially the director of an opera company.
- n. A manager; a producer.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A manager or producer in the entertainment industry, especially music or theatre.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The projector, manager, or conductor, of an opera or concert company.
- n. Any manager who organizes performances of a group.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A manager, agent, or conductor of a troupe of operatic or concert singers; also, rarely, a teacher or trainer of such singers.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a sponsor who books and stages public entertainments
Italian, from impresa, undertaking, from feminine past participle of imprendere, to undertake, from Vulgar Latin *imprēndere; see emprise.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)