from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of distributing or the condition of being distributed; apportionment.
- n. Something distributed; an allotment.
- n. The act of dispersing or the condition of being dispersed; diffusion.
- n. The geographic occurrence or range of an organism.
- n. The geographic occurrence or range of a custom, usage, or other feature.
- n. Division into categories; classification.
- n. The process of marketing and supplying goods, especially to retailers.
- n. A spatial or temporal array of objects or events: the distribution of theaters on Broadway.
- n. Law The division of an estate or property among rightful heirs.
- n. Statistics A set of numbers and their frequency of occurrence collected from measurements over a statistical population.
- n. Mathematics A generalized function used in the study of partial differential equations.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An act of distributing or state of being distributed.
- n. An apportionment by law (of funds, property).
- n. The process by which goods get to final consumers over a geographical market, including storing, selling, shipping and advertising.
- n. The frequency of occurrence or extent of existence.
- n. Anything distributed; portion; share
- n. The result of distributing; arrangement.
- n. A probability distribution; the set of relative likelihoods that a variable will have a value in a given interval.
- n. A set of bundled software components; distro.
- n. The apportionment of income or wealth in a population.
- n. The process or result of the sale of securities, especially their placement among investors with long-term investment strategies.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of distributing or dispensing; the act of dividing or apportioning among several or many; apportionment.
- n. Separation into parts or classes; arrangement of anything into parts; disposition; classification.
- n. That which is distributed.
- n. A resolving a whole into its parts.
- n. The sorting of types and placing them in their proper boxes in the cases.
- n. The steps or operations by which steam is supplied to and withdrawn from the cylinder at each stroke of the piston; viz., admission, suppression or cutting off, release or exhaust, and compression of exhaust steam prior to the next admission.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of dividing or parceling out; allotment in shares or according to requirement; apportionment; division among several: as, the distribution of an estate among the heirs; the distribution of justice or of alms; the distribution of parts in a play.
- n. That which is distributed or apportioned.
- n. The act or process of separating and arranging, or the special arrangement secured; separation into distinct order, parts, or classes; systematic or natural arrangement: as, the distribution of printing-types into their boxes (see distribute, II., 2); the distribution of plants into genera and species.
- n. The act of spreading out as over a surface; in printing, the spreading of ink in an even film over the inking-rollers and the inking-table.
- n. In rhetoric: Enumeration of several persons or things, with attribution to each of a special office, function, or characteristic.
- n. The classification of the topics of a discourse by dividing them under different heads: now more commonly called division.
- n. In logic: The distinguishing of a universal whole into its several kinds or species: thus differing from division, by which an integral whole is distinguished into its several parts.
- n. The acceptation of a term in a general sense to apply to many individuals.
- n. In architecture, the arrangement of a plan with reference to walls and open spaces, or to the various services and uses to which the different apartments of an interior are destined; also, the artistic combination of masses, ornaments, wall-openings, various kinds of masonry, etc.—
- n. In political economics, the division of the aggregate produce of the industry of any society among the independent individuals who compose it.—
- n. In steam-engines, the operation by which steam is admitted into and withdrawn from the cylinder at each stroke of the piston.
- n. Synonyms Apportionment, partition, division, disposition, grouping.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of distributing or spreading or apportioning
- n. the commercial activity of transporting and selling goods from a producer to a consumer
- n. the spatial or geographic property of being scattered about over a range, area, or volume
- n. (statistics) an arrangement of values of a variable showing their observed or theoretical frequency of occurrence
From Latin distributio, from distribuere 'to distribute', itself from dis- 'apart' + tribuere 'to ' (from tribus). (Wiktionary)