from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of conveying or delivering.
- n. Something delivered, as a shipment or package.
- n. The act of transferring to another.
- n. Law A formal act of transferring ownership of property to another: delivery of a deed.
- n. The act of giving up; surrender.
- n. The act or manner of throwing or discharging.
- n. The act of giving birth; parturition.
- n. Utterance or enunciation: The historic speech required but two minutes in delivery.
- n. The act or manner of speaking or singing: a folk singer's casual delivery.
- n. The act of releasing or rescuing.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of conveying something
- n. The item which has been conveyed
- n. The act of giving birth
- n. A pitching motion
- n. A thrown pitch
- n. The manner of speaking
- n. administration of a drug
- n. A ball bowled
- n. The process of throwing a stone
- adj. Related to delivery.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of delivering from restraint; rescue; release; liberation.
- n. The act of delivering up or over; surrender; transfer of the body or substance of a thing; distribution.
- n. The act or style of utterance; manner of speaking
- n. The act of giving birth; parturition; the expulsion or extraction of a fetus and its membranes.
- n. The act of exerting one's strength or limbs.
- n. The act or manner of delivering a ball.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of setting free; the act of freeing from bondage, danger, or evil of any kind; release; rescue; deliverance.
- n. A giving or passing from one to another; the act of transferring or handing over to another: as, the delivery of goods or of a deed; the delivery of a parcel or a letter.
- n. Surrender; a giving up.
- n. In law, the placing of one person in legal possession of a thing by another.
- n. Aid given in the act of parturition; the bringing forth of offspring; childbirth.
- n. Utterance; enunciation; manner of speaking or singing.
- n. The act of sending or putting forth; emission; discharge: as, the delivery of the ball in base-ball, cricket, etc.; the delivery of fire or of a charge in battle; the delivery of a blow from the shoulder.
- n. Capacity for pouring out or disburdening of contents: as, the delivery of a pipe.
- n. Free motion or use of the limbs; activity; agility.
- n. In founding, allowance or free play given to a pattern so that it can be readily lifted from the mold. Also called draw-taper.
- n. In a cotton-mill, the quantity of sliver delivered from a machine.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (baseball) the act of throwing a baseball by a pitcher to a batter
- n. the voluntary transfer of something (title or possession) from one party to another
- n. your characteristic style or manner of expressing yourself orally
- n. the act of delivering a child
- n. the event of giving birth
- n. the act of delivering or distributing something (as goods or mail)
- n. recovery or preservation from loss or danger
Sorry, no etymologies found.