from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of performing or the state of being performed.
- n. The act or style of performing a work or role before an audience.
- n. The way in which someone or something functions: The pilot rated the airplane's performance in high winds.
- n. A presentation, especially a theatrical one, before an audience.
- n. Something performed; an accomplishment.
- n. Linguistics One's actual use of language in actual situations.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of performing; carrying into execution or action; execution; achievement; accomplishment; representation by action; as, the performance of an undertaking of a duty.
- n. That which is performed or accomplished; a thing done or carried through; an achievement; a deed; an act; a feat; especially, an action of an elaborate or public character.
- n. A live show or concert.
- n. The amount of useful work accomplished by a computer system compared to the time and resources used. Better Performance means more work accomplished in shorter time and/or using less resources
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of performing; the carrying into execution or action; execution; achievement; accomplishment; representation by action.
- n. That which is performed or accomplished; a thing done or carried through; an achievement; a deed; an act; a feat; esp., an action of an elaborate or public character.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of performing or the condition of being performed; execution or completion of anything; a doing: as, the performance of works or of an undertaking; the performance of duty.
- n. That which is performed or accomplished; action; deed; thing done; a piece of work.
- n. A musical, dramatic, or other entertainment; the acting of a play, execution of vocal or instrumental music, exhibition of skill, etc., especially at a place of amusement.
- n. Synonyms Accomplishment, achievement, consummation. See perform.
- n. Exploit, feat.
- n. Production.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of presenting a play or a piece of music or other entertainment
- n. any recognized accomplishment
- n. the act of performing; of doing something successfully; using knowledge as distinguished from merely possessing it
- n. a dramatic or musical entertainment
- n. process or manner of functioning or operating
From perform + -ance (Wiktionary)