from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A test to ascertain the qualifications of applicants, as for an athletic team or theatrical role.
- n. An experimental performance of a play before its official opening.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A test of the suitability or effectiveness of a person or thing, especially of a performer (an audition)
- n. A trial run
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a test of the performance capability of a person, to ascertain fitness for a particular task; in sports, a test by which the fitness of a player or contestant to remain in a certain class is determined.
- n. one or more performances of a play prior to the official opening, held at a location outside of the city where it is to be formally presented, conducted for the purpose of determining audience response or ascertaining weaknesses needing correction.
- intransitive v. to compete for a postition, as on a sports team or in a theatrical presentation.
- transitive v. to use (something not previously used) to determine its fitness for a particular purpose; also, to attempt (a deed) to determine if it will accomplish a particular purpose.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. put to the test, as for its quality, or give experimental use to
- v. perform in order to get a role
- v. try something new, as in order to gain experience
- v. take a sample of
- n. a test of the suitability of a performer
- n. trying something to find out about it
Sorry, no etymologies found.