from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of subverting a vote.
- v. Present participle of fix.
- v. Going; preparing; ready.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act or process of making fixed.
- n. That which is fixed; a fixture.
- n. Arrangements; embellishments; trimmings; accompaniments.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of making firm, stable, steadfast, or secure; the act of determining, settling, establishing, or rendering permanent; consolidation; establishment; the process by which anything is fixed.
- n. The act of repairing or putting to rights or in order.
- n. In machinery, a piece of cast-iron adapted to carry pillow-blocks and the like.
- n. In metallurgy, the coating of the lining of the revolving chamber of the Danks furnace (see puddle) with a second or working lining, accomplished by covering the first lining with a melted coating formed of hydrated non-silicious ore of iron mixed with scrap-iron; also, the coating so applied. This fixing is analogous to the fettling of the ordinary puddling-furnace.
- n. Establishment in life; the act of setting up in housekeeping, or of furnishing a house.
- n. plural Things needed for fixing, preparing, or putting in order; arrangements; embellishments; trimmings; garnishings of any kind: as, railroad fixings.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the sterilization of an animal
- n. the act of putting something in working order again
- n. (histology) the preservation and hardening of a tissue sample to retain as nearly as possible the same relations they had in the living body
- n. restraint that attaches to something or holds something in place
Sorry, no etymologies found.