from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of transacting or the fact of being transacted.
- n. Something transacted, especially a business agreement or exchange.
- n. Communication involving two or more people that affects all those involved; personal interaction: "a rich sense of the transaction between writer and reader” ( William Zinsser).
- n. A record of business conducted at a meeting; proceedings.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of conducting or carrying out (business, negotiations, plans).
- n. A deal or business agreement.
- n. An exchange or trade, as of ideas, money, goods, etc.
- n. The transfer of funds into, out of, or from an account.
- n. An atomic operation; a message, data modification, or other procedure that is guaranteed to perform completely or not at all (e.g. a database transaction).
- n. A record of the proceedings of a learned society
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The doing or performing of any business; management of any affair; performance.
- n. That which is done; an affair.
- n. An adjustment of a dispute between parties by mutual agreement.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The management or settlement of an affair; a doing or performing: as, the transaction of business.
- n. A completed or settled matter or item of business; a matter or affair either completed or in course of completion: as, a transaction of questionable honesty.
- n. plural The reports or publications containing the several papers or abstracts of papers, speeches, discussions, etc., which have been read or delivered at the meetings of certain learned societies. Those of the Royal Society of London are known as the Philosophical Transactions.
- n. In civil law, an adjustment of a dispute between parties by mutual agreement; the extinguishing of an obligation by an agreement by which each party consents to forego part of his claims in order to close the matter finally.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of transacting within or between groups (as carrying on commercial activities)
From Latin transactio. (Wiktionary)