from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One, such as an insect or bird, that flies with wings.
- n. The pilot of an aircraft.
- n. A passenger in an aircraft: special fares for business fliers.
- n. A pamphlet or circular for mass distribution.
- n. A step in a straight stairway.
- n. Informal A daring venture.
- n. Australian An exceptionally swift kangaroo.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Something that flies.
- n. Someone who pilots or rides in an airplane.
- n. A leaflet, often for advertising.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who flies or flees; a runaway; a fugitive.
- n. A fly. See Fly, n., 9, and 13 (b).
- n. See Flyer, n., 5.
- n. See Flyer, n., 4.
- n. An aëroplane or flying machine.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. That which flies: as, the bird was a high flier.
- n. Specifically One who or that which moves swiftly; an animal, a person, or a thing that exhibits or is capable of great speed: as, he drove a span of fliers; the locomotive was a flier.
- n. One who flees; a fugitive; a runaway.
- n. Some part of a machine or mechanism having a rapid motion.
- n. A single step or a straight flight of steps or stairs; in the plural, stairs composed of straight flights: opposed to winding stairs.
- n. A financial venture; a speculative investment: applied to a purchase of stock by one not a regular buyer, in hope of immediate profit: as, to take a flier in Wall street.
- n. A small handbill. Also called dodger.
- n. One of the fresh-water sunfishes, Centrarchus macropterus, found in the southern United States.
- n. An apparatus attached to a printing-machine, usually a gang of parallel rods worked by a rocking shaft, which seizes each sheet as it is printed and conveys it to the delivery-table.
- n. One of the two lower-most leaves of a tobacco-plant.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who travels by air
- n. someone who operates an aircraft
- n. an advertisement (usually printed on a page or in a leaflet) intended for wide distribution
to fly + -er (Wiktionary)