from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An appearance of a god to a human; a divine manifestation.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A manifestation of a deity to a man.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A manifestation of God to man by actual appearance, usually as an incarnation.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A manifestation of God or of gods to man by actual appearance.
- n. [capitalized] The festival of the Epiphany.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a visible (but not necessarily material) manifestation of a deity to a human person
Medieval Latin theophania, from Late Greek theophaneia : Greek theo-, theo- + Greek phainein, phan-, to show.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Late Latin theophania, corresponding to theo- + -phany. (Wiktionary)