from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, emanating from, or resembling the stars.
- adj. Biology Of, relating to, or shaped like the mitotic aster; star-shaped.
- adj. Of or relating to a supersensible body believed by theosophists to coexist with and survive the death of the human physical body: an astral body; astral projection.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Relating to or resembling the stars; starry.
- adj. Relating to a supposed supersensible substance taking the form of an aura discernible to certain gifted individuals.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Pertaining to, coming from, or resembling, the stars; starry; starlike.
- adj. Of or pertaining to an aster.
- adj. Consisting of, belonging to, or designating, a kind of supersensible substance alleged to be next above the tangible world in refinement; ; the astral plane.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Belonging to the stars; starry.
- Specifically, in theosophy, an epithet descriptive of a supersensible substance supposed to pervade all space and enter into all bodies; odic; biogenic.
- n. In theosophy, an astral form or body.
- In cytology, of or pertaining to an aster: as, the astral rays in the karyokinetic or mitotic division-figure of the cell.
- In some geologic classifications, noting the primitive period or era in the earth's history characterized as “that of the fluid globe, having a heavy vaporous envelop containing the future water of the globe or its dissociated elements and other heavy vapors or gases.”
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. being or relating to or resembling or emanating from stars
Late Latin astrālis, from Latin astrum, star, from Greek astron; see ster-3 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Late Latin astralis, from Latin astrum ("a star"), from Ancient Greek ἄστρον (astron, "star"). (Wiktionary)