from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Eastern Orthodox Church A bishop or metropolitan.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The governor or prefect of a province.
- n. The ruler of an eparchy.
- n. The metropolitan bishop of a province or eparchy.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. In ancient Greece, the governor or perfect of a province; in modern Greece, the ruler of an eparchy.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In ancient and modern Greece, the governor or prefect of an eparchy.
- n. In the Russian Ch., a bishop as governing an eparchy; especially, a metropolitan. See eparchy, 2.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a bishop or metropolitan in charge of an eparchy in the Eastern Church
- n. the governor or prefect of an eparchy in ancient Greece
Medieval Greek eparkhos, from Greek, governor, ruler, from eparkhein, to rule over : ep-, epi-, epi- + arkhein, to rule.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek ἔπαρχος, from ἐπί ("over") + ἀρχός ("ruler"). (Wiktionary)