from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A lyric ode in honor of a bride and bridegroom.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A song or poem celebrating a marriage.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A nuptial song, or poem in honor of the bride and bridegroom.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A nuptial song or poem; a poem in honor of a newly married person or pair, in praise of and invoking blessings upon its subject or subjects.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an ode honoring a bride and bridegroom
Latin, from Greek epithalamion, from neuter of epithalamios, of a wedding : epi-, epi- + thalamos, bridal chamber.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek ἐπιθαλάμιον, noun use of the neuter form of επιθαλαμιος ‘nuptial’, from επι− + θαλαμος ‘bridal chamber’. (Wiktionary)