from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To increase, enlarge, or intensify: escalated the hostilities in the Persian Gulf.
- intransitive v. To increase in intensity or extent: "a deepening long-term impasse that is certain to escalate” ( Stewart L. Udall).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. to increase (something) in extent or intensity; to intensify or step up
- v. in technical support, to transfer a telephone caller to the next higher level of authority
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. increase in extent or intensity
Back-formation from escalator.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Back-formation from escalator. (Wiktionary)