from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The seventh letter of the Greek alphabet. See Table at alphabet.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The seventh letter of the Modern Greek alphabet, the eighth in Old Greek.
- n. A kind of electrically neutral meson having zero spin and isospin.
- n. A social outcast in Japan who is subjected to menial work, making up a class or caste of such people.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The seventh letter of the Greek alphabet, written H or
- n. In electricity, a symbol for coefficient of magnetic hysteresis. See magnetic hysteresis.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a terrorist organization organized in 1959 by student activists who were dissatisfied with the moderate nationalism of the traditional Basque party; want to create an independent homeland in Spain's western Pyrenees
- n. the 7th letter of the Greek alphabet
Greek ēta, of Phoenician origin; akin to Hebrew ḥêt, heth.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek ἦτα (ēta). (Wiktionary)
From Japanese 穢多 ("full of filth") (literal translation, now considered derogatory in Japan). (Wiktionary)