from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To make clear the meaning of; explain. See Synonyms at explain.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To explain meticulously or in great detail; to elucidate; to analyze.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Evolved; unfolded.
- transitive v. To unfold; to expand; to lay open.
- transitive v. To unfold the meaning or sense of; to explain; to clear of difficulties or obscurity; to interpret.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To unfold; expand; open.
- To unfold the meaning or sense of; explain; interpret.
- To give an explanation.
- Unfolded; explicated.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. make plain and comprehensible
- v. elaborate, as of theories and hypotheses
Latin explicāre, explicāt-, to unfold, explain : ex-, ex- + plicāre, to fold; see plek- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin explicāre, present active infinitive of explicō ("unfold", "to explain"). (Wiktionary)